Title: Program Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Work Schedule: Part time (approximately 20 hours/week)
Application deadline: September 21, 2018
El Refugio offers hospitality and visitation serving immigrants detained at the Stewart Detention Center, their families, and friends. We seek to hire a compassionate and dedicated Program Coordinator who is willing and able to operate databases, manage communications and donations, and coordinate events and reports critical to our nonprofit operations. The Program Coordinator will undertake his or her responsibility in a manner that is reflective of our core values of hospitality, presence, and education for advocacy.
This position is 20 hours per week. Depending on funding and organizational need, the position may become full time in the future.
Mission and Core Activities of El Refugio Ministry
Mission: A ministry of hospitality and visitation serving immigrants detained at the Stewart Detention Center, their families, and friends.
Core Activities Visitation
We visit immigrants and asylum-seekers who have no one else to visit them, and we connect
detained immigrants with pen-pals. Our visitation and letter-writing programs are rooted in the ethic of presence. Working against the radically dehumanizing system of immigration detention, we believe our most powerful role is simply to be present to the people we visit in detention – to recognize their full humanity, to see them face-to-face, to hear them, and to build relationships with them. We walk alongside those suffering the crisis of detention and deportation, and we refuse to turn away from their suffering. Through our sustained presence, we also aim to hold Core Civic and ICE accountable for their treatment of detained immigrants.
Our hospitality house, one mile from Stewart Detention Center, offers welcome, support, love, and respect to families and friends of those in detention. We provide lodging, meals, affirmation, and companionship to all of our guests. We assist with clothing and travel expenses when possible. Our home is a refuge of hospitality for those suffering from the intentionally inhospitable system of immigration detention.
Education and Witness for Advocacy
Each year, we host hundreds of visitors from faith communities, schools, and civic groups. After offering an orientation on the U.S. immigration and detention systems, we accompany our guests to Stewart Detention Center to meet with individuals who have been detained.
Following the visits, we debrief about their experience visiting detained immigrants, as well as the realities of detention, and our civic responsibilities in light of what we have learned. We also offer presentations and dialogue to educate the public about immigration detention. Our work bears witness to the historic crisis of immigration detention and encourages visitors to advocate for more just immigration policies.
This is a part time position of 20 hours per week.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, this individual will:
- Respond to concerns and questions from visitors and volunteers through El Refugio’s Facebook page and email address
- Update El Refugio’s web site FAQs (in coordination with the Communications Committee)
- Organize and maintain El Refugio’s MailChimp distribution lists to enable communications with volunteers and donors
- Assist in the preparation of grant proposals and reports
- Assist El Refugio board members in preparing presentation materials for educational events
- Assist with the organization’s capital campaign, including event coordination, meeting schedules, logistics, and publicity
- On a weekly basis:
- Pick up and review postal mail at P.O. Box
- Deposit and record donations
- Write thank you notes to donors
- Review data entered from the weekend hospitality to confirm completion; work with weekend coordinators to correct data for use in Board of Director meetings, communications, grant proposals, and donor reports
- Conduct a least one weekend site visit at the hospitality house in Lumpkin, GA, and participate in an educational session to gain knowledge of our organization
- Assist ED in other administrative tasks, as needed, to conduct the business of El Refugio and support for visitors and volunteers
- Passionate about support for immigrants directly affected by the US immigration detention system
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to balance multiple tasks, respond calmly under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated reliability as a team player and ability to work with multiple stakeholders simultaneously, including the Executive Director, Board of Directors, volunteers, and visitors
- Prior experience with and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, as well as Google Drive documents/spreadsheets. Power point skills and knowledge of MailChimp also
- Availability to attend occasional evening and weekend Personal vehicle for travel to Lumpkin and educational sessions
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint and cloud-based file management
- Prior experience with email marketing software, particularly Mailchimp
- Prior experience with website development and maintenance
- Prior experience in social media use for organizational development or social justice activism, particularly Facebook
- Spanish proficiency (fluency is not necessary, but some Spanish language ability is strongly preferred)
- Ability to work from home/remotely
Hours per week: 20 hours.
Please send a letter of inquiry and resume to: email@example.com with the subject line: Part-time employee. Please tell us, in a couple paragraphs, about your background and why you would like to work at El Refugio. Thank you!!
El Refugio is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. We welcome applications from qualified candidates of all backgrounds, especially from directly impacted individuals.
Application deadline: October 12, 2018